Saturday 26 April 2014

Book Review - Into the Still Blue

Into the Still Blue
Author: Veronica Rossi
Series: Under the Never Sky #3
Genres: Dystopian, Fantasy | Young Adult
Release Date: 28th January 2014
Publishers: Harper Collins
No. Pages: 392
Source: Purchased
Rating: 
Buy From: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Waterstones
The race to the Still Blue has reached a stalemate. Aria and Perry are determined to find this last safe haven from the Aether storms before Sable and Hess do—and they are just as determined to stay together.

Within the confines of a cave they're using as a makeshift refuge, they struggle to reconcile their people, Dwellers and Outsiders, who are united only in their hatred of their desperate situation. Meanwhile, time is running out to rescue Cinder, who was abducted by Hess and Sable for his unique abilities. Then Roar arrives in a grief-stricken fury, endangering all with his need for revenge.

Out of options, Perry and Aria assemble an unlikely team for an impossible rescue mission. Cinder isn't just the key to unlocking the Still Blue and their only hope for survival--he's also their friend. And in a dying world, the bonds between people are what matter most.

In this final book in her earth-shattering Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi raises the stakes to their absolute limit and brings her epic love story to an unforgettable close


The following review may contain spoilers concerning earlier books in the series.
If you have not read the previous installments, please proceed with caution.

The Plot

Into the Still Blue starts off where Through the Ever Night ended, Cinder has been kidnapped and Liv killed. Perry and Aria have a rocky relationship after she left him and went of with Roar and Roar and Perry aren't talking. One thing is sure though, the need to get to the Still Blue has never been more than now. Aether storms grow more violent, food and moral is low and Sable is looking more dangerous as the days go on. As much as Perry and Aria want to stay in the safety of the caves that the temporarily called home, they know that the only thing that will help them know is to get Cinder back and find the Still Blue. Enlisting the help of Soren, they come up with a plan to out smart Hess and Sable, finding out in the process that the needs of the many sometimes really do out way the needs of the few. with tough decisions on their hands, Perry and Aria are left with the responsibility to get their people out of harms way. The book is fast paced, action packed and just perfect!.

Characters

Aria: So if I remember rightly, in the first book I didn't like Aria all that much, by the 2nd book she was starting to grow on me but in this book she really came into her own. You got to see her true colours in the 2nd book but I think with everything she had to go through in the book, he true character really came through in such a raw way and I thought she was brilliantly written. I love the relationship between her and Perry, it so sweet and mushy but also so real that makes it believable. She had so much to deal with in the book (and the other two) but she still remained such a strong minded character.

Perry: Perry, Perry, Perry. I fecking love him, I have done from the start, don't get me wrong, there was a little part in book number two when I thought you prat, "that was a bad bad thing Perry. why oh why did you do it :(" my goodreads status update around 79% (anyone who has read the stories will know what I'm talking about) but then as then at 100% my status update said "It's ok Perry, I forgive you :) <3" haha. Basically what I'm trying to say is that although I have loved him from the start, he has always been such a well written character and as the series drew to a close , even though he had lost so much he was just still the same person at the beginning. All the characters lost something, that's just the by product of war. But Perry lost so much more than the rest over the course of the 3 books, but even at the end he was putting other peoples needs before his own. He is just one hell of a character.

Others: so the other characters that I would like to note are Roar, Soren, Cinder, Hess & Sable. I've been a fan of Roar for a long time, but in this book his contempt towards Perry drove me insane, don't get me wrong I knew why he was acting the way he did but it still got to me. On the flip side to that he completely broke my heart sometimes and I'm glad to say he is still one of my favourite characters from the series. Cinder.... he was such a scared little kid and my heart wrenched so much for him. Soren, hated from the started but loved him in this book, Hess was one I could never truly make my mind up about and Sable was such a twisted character that he became brilliant to me, not matter what he did

My Thoughts

it took me a lot longer to read this book than it should have, but that's because I started it at completely the wrong time, a few days before I had work. Its safe to say I was pretty busy, and despite how much I wanted to read the book I just could not find the time. Then when my few days of work were over and I just not be bothered to read, so I'm sorry to say the book with very neglected. However, when I did pick it up and force myself to snap out of the rut I was in I found myself hooked. Dystopian has to be my favourite genre at the moment and some people just really pull it off, Veronica Rossi happens to be on of them. Her ability to build a world is sometimes next to none, the effort she put into developing characters no matter how big are small is inspiring, and where as in all honesty it wasn't my favourite end to a series, I still really enjoyed the book. There wasn't much I didn't like about this book and it was a good finish. Plus you know, with characters like Perry and Roar how could I not like it? haha. Seriously though, in general its a good series, I personally would have liked a few more books as I've grown accustomed to much larger series but that could just be me and that in now way indicates that too much way squished into 3 books, everything was spaced out evenly and got enough attention as it should have.

anyway I'm rambling a bit now. Like I said, it was a good series and if you haven't already read it (I don't know why you would be reading this review if you haven't) I would highly recommend it :)



“Maybe his grief was like her wounded arm. Slowly healing. Gradually becoming les consuming as life delivered other worries and other joys. Other sources of pain and happiness. She wanted that for him. More life. More happiness.”








No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...