Friday 25 April 2014

Book Review - These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars
Author: Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner 
Series: Starbound #1
Genres: Dystopian, Space | Young Adult
Release Date: 10th December 2013
Publishers: Disney Hyperion
No. Pages: 374
Source: Purchased
Rating: 
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.
So when you look at how long people had been waiting for this book I guess you could say I found out about it pretty late on the grand scheme of things. I think that's because of the time I had to take out of blogging, which also meaning avoiding the blogs because that just what I did. Anyway when I first heard about this book I wont lie, the summary sounded good but it was the cover that had me interested, it is so friggin pretty that if I was giving the chance, I really would frame it and hang it in my house (I'm not sure how much my OH would like that, book he would just have to put up with it haha)

This book is a dual POV book and it works so well (I may be biased because I love books from different point of vies). The first character we have Tarver Merendsen, a solider who who is seemingly nothing more important than that, not coming from a wealthy family his status in the army is what gets him noticed. And he's ok with that. Then we have Lilac LaRoux, a socialite and the one and only child of Roderick LaRoux, one of the most powerful men in the galaxy. From the start both characters play the people the passers by's persevere them as. Lilac a spoilt little rich girl and Tarver the war hero. Until their paths cross on Icarus one of LaRoux Industries ships, and a prestige one at that. Tarver has no idea who Lilac is, or he wouldn't be chatting her up, Lilac on the other hand knows who he is but plays innocent. After all it is only a harmless conversation with someone she'll never see again, or so she thought.

In a freak accident, the ship is being violently ripped through hyperspace causing Lilac and Tarver to share an escape pod, and when Lilac is forced to tinker with the pod in order for it to detach itself from the ship, Tarver is realising there is more to her than meets the eye. When they are marooned together on an unknown planet the surprises keep on coming. Strange things are happening all around them and despite what they thought at the beginning, they might not actually be alone on this planet. With the need of survival and trust, they two slowly but surely become closer and build a friendship.

What I liked about this book is how the relationship between both characters is slow building, as the time goes on and they are faced with more hardship they become closer. They aren't just instantly together (friendship or other wise) from the start. I really do hate books where the relationship seems so false and fake because its rushed, thankfully it wasn't a problem with this one. Both of the character were well written, both with in depth back stories. Yes, it was like Titanic, and normally that would put me off but I found it odd how this was something that I absolutely loved about the book.
I couldn't put it down. I wanted so badly to read it faster than I did but find it difficult to read more an more lately (a mothers work is never done haha) Anyway, like I said, this book was really good. I know a lot of people had its issues with book, but for me they weren't there. I wanted so bad to like this book before I started reading it and instead of just liking it found myself reading till all hours of the night in bed crying sometimes haha.

“For a moment the image before us is frozen: our world, our lives, reduced to a handful broken stars half lost in uncharted space. Then it's gone, the view swallowed by the hyperspace winds streaming past, blue-green auroras wiping the after-images away. Until all that's left is us”

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...