Thursday 22 January 2015

Who Wore It Better - Beautiful Darkness

Who Wore It Better is a meme created and hosted by Nitzan at The Book Babes Read and co-hosted here on Beautiful Bookish Butterflies by Amanda and Stacie. We don't talk about clothing or fashion and we definitely don't talk frills and spills, we talk books and their covers and who we think has the best. This week, Amanda is talking about the covers from Beautiful Darkness, book #2 of the Caster Chronicles series. She's previously read Beautiful Creatures, watched the film adaptation, and gave her copy of Beautiful Darkness to the library only a week or two ago. Will she ever continue the series? Only time will tell..


The Covers



Cover #1 - US/UK Edition
Cover #2 - French MM Paperback
Cover #3 - Bulgarian Paperback
Cover #4 - Czech Edition
Cover #5 - Italian Edition
Cover #6 - German Edition

My Thoughts


I've got to admit, I really do like the US/UK Editions of the Caster Chronicles. I admit, I don't completely understand them - what has a set of stairs got to do with book #4, does anyone know? but the splash of bold colour and two-toned style of the covers make these some really aesthetically pleasing covers to admire. Even the spines and how the letters twisted out from as tangled from one another throughout the series' covers really do make these editions pretty darn beautiful, especially when they're sat as a set. However, if it wasn't for the fact I'll probably get a lot of 'what's' for it, I would have loved to have put the French Mass Market Paperback in first place because I swear, it was love at first sight. It has very little to do with the plot, damn, even the models hair colour is wrong for Lena, but you know what, let by gones be by gones and let me love you pretty cover. Oh, and I'd also really like whatever she's wearing, it's all pretty and lacey..

The Bulgarian Paperback isn't too bad I should think. The silhouettes of people really don't look good, that could have seriously been done just a tad bit better, but the whole title of 'darkness' and a dark and dingy set of stairs, god knows what secrets they hold. I'd say from a 'secrets are hidden' kind of aspect, this cover really works. Yet I do like the Czech edition quite a lot. I know it looks as though it hasn't a clue what it's doing, but I kind of like that about it - it's vibrant, it's bold, it makes a statement, it says 'READ ME' like chocolate says eat me. I'm a right fool, but I do really have a soft spot for that Czech edition. Ooops..

The final two covers, the Italian and the German, they either don't excite me, or horrify me, and I'm pretty certain you can guess which is which. In comparison to the original US/UK edition, the Italian edition just doesn't work. The blue is too pale, the butterfly (we love those here) doesn't stand out from the cover or look that appealing and the whole thing just feels a little too toned downed. The German edition though, woah, someone had way too much fun with the contrast settings, that and photoshop. Look at those eyes, I'm torn between feeling hungry for party rings, or being pretty startled. Lena darling, you seriously need to visit an optician.. that, or take those contact lenses out, they aren't helping. Got to admit though, the yellow eyes do follow suit with the plot, and even the title links back, so while it does look a little, scary, it is book related.

Your Thoughts


What did you think of these covers? Which is your favourite and least favourite, and is the series worth continuing?

2 comments:

  1. I definitely think this series is one of those cases gone right in the series-wise look. Like, all the US/UK covers are really pretty for one, and they match perfectly!
    I hear you about the French. It's definitely super pretty, and I would've bought it for the cover alone, though.. yeah, a mismatched model!
    I would've loved the Bulgarian cover... if, if, if, the silhouettes looked better! I mean, the rest looks really good, so why?
    And I feel you about the Czech cover. It's definitely eye catching - but yeah, it has no idea what it's doing/saying!!
    As for the Italian - I agree with you, though despite the lack of opacity, it still looks good. The German... I won't buy it, sorry. It looks... bad. Badly photoshoped, badly put together, badly colored, just... yikes!
    I think this is the first time I was in complete agreement with you Amanda! *fist bump* :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree, they did very well on the look and feel. It's amazing when we agree, it's like, we need to celebrate! *gets drunk of happiness* Was definitely a fabulous choice me thinks, so kudas to Stacie who chose very well! :)

      Delete

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...